Is there a ‘mental model’ for surviving the toughest of times?
In 1972, a Uruguayan plane, carrying a rugby team (and their friends and family) crashes in the middle of the Andes. Survivors are faced with a choice: Adapt to this new perilous situation or wait in hope of rescue….
Explore a sequence of disastrous events, fatal injuries, starvation, dehydration and despair, to discover the mindsets, ingenuity and resilient spirits of 16 survivors, stranded in the Andes for 72 days.
An inspirational true-life story
This inspiring case study shows us that leadership is situational, and not all are suited to leading in difficult situations. These true-life events help to shift perspectives on what is possible, and how to innovate when you’ve run out of options and the end is nowhere in sight.
As life, death, tragedy and triumph unfold, we ask the hard questions and reveal lessons and tools to shift perspectives and enable high performance when the odds are stacked against success.
“Issues like the mindset to survive a crisis, situational leadership, choosing people for the right situation are some of the issues we grappled with.”
Richard Day, YPO Forum
Ignite team and leadership conversations
- How do your teams rise above challenges, recognise and celebrate success in volatile times?
- How can understanding and managing biases and assumptions that affect judgment and decision making improve our ability to perform – especially when under pressure?
- How are we stepping up to leadership while others are stepping down?
- What leadership qualities will help you take charge, be responsible and accountable?
Format and Approach
Engage your teams in a multimedia, facilitator-led conversation on Zoom, supported with interactive moderated conversations in breakout rooms (hosted by our team of Pod Coaches).
This case study is available in a 90-minute or 180-minute online (Zoom) format.
How does it work?
- Contact us to let us know that you want LRMG to share this case study with your team
- We will work with you to design or customise key conversation and reflection questions
- Participants will get a link to a pre-case study primer to complete prior to the presentation and conversation
- Your team will receive our Survival! Toolkit as a take-away to ignite further learning and reflection
“A strong, agile mindset plays a critical role in adapting to change, rising above challenges, keeping hope and maintaining the will to persevere."